The first methodical arrangement of the Museo Diocesano del Capitolo began in 1923, on the occasion of the fourth centenary of the death of Luca Signorelli. The Museum found a worthy home in the old complex of the Chiesa del Gesù, in front of the Cattedrale di Santa Maria. Later, a new adjacent facility was built, and the Museum annexed the oratory below the church as well as the great staircase by Filippo Berrettini connecting the church to the oratory. The Museum now comprises seven rooms distributed between the two locations. Its holdings include works by Beato Angelico and by Luca Signorelli and his school.
The visitor’s guide to the museum is followed by a guide to places of historical and artistic interest in Cortona and selected locations in the Val di Chiana around Arezzo, with notes on antique stores, craft shops, wine and food, and folklore.PDF format