The cultural centre of the British Institute of Florence is situated on the south bank of the Arno at Palazzo Lanfredini on Lungarno Guicciardini. Founded in 1917 the British Institute is testimony to the far longer cordial relationship that has existed between Italy and Britain. Its Library and Archive bear witness to this with holdings that extend beyond tha date of its foundation into the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.
The British Institute’s library, the largest English language lending library on mainland Europe with approximately 48,000 volumes, is the fruit of both purchase and donation over the past century. The archive, instead, gathers many important collections, like the Horner, the Hutton, the Maquay, the Waterfield, the Edward Gordon Craig and the Vernon Lee.