In 1938, after a debate that lasted decades, the city of
Prato decided to equip itself with a new hospital (in addition to the “Misericordia
e Dolce”), in order to provide citizens with a modern structure. The works for
the building began in 1939 and stopped in 1944: after the war, it was then
decided not to continue with the completion of the garrison. The volume
documents the process that led to the conception of the Ospedale del Soccorso,
thus revealing important episodes from Prato’s past.