The book introduces some key considerations and concepts on sustainable planning and ecological design written by academics from various universities under the editorship of Dimitra Babalis, that were discussed during the Intensive Programme/Workshop within the European Programme Socrates/Erasmus, held in Florence in June 2002.
This volume puts forward some fundamental concepts and basic ideas about ecological and sustainable design such as:
- Towns and cities have to be understood as an ecological system;
- New strategies and environmentally friendly urban design process have to be adopted for regeneration, in order to have the lowest impact on humans and nature;
- Learning from the past: the traditional building methods, bioclimatic through nature, and the use of a variety of local materials have to be reconsidered;
- Integrated environmental approaches for developing and managing a design process have to be considered
- Design aids are essential in order to support designer’s choices for building and for environmentally friendly constructions.