Franco Lani was born in Cortona (Ar) in 1941. In 1966 he graduated in Architecture at Florence University. In those years the students’ movement was characterized by its political and social engagement which promoted the birth of Radical Architecture, whose ideas and aspirations were decisive for the development of Lani’s professional identity. He began his activity working for three years as a urban planner. In 1972 he started working as a self employed professional, first with Giorgio Venturini, then opening a firm specialized in urbanistic and architectural planning. In that period he drew up the urban planning regulations for some Tuscan towns (Cortona, Lucignano, Foiano della Chiana, Terranuova Bracciolini, Monte San Savino, Marciano della Chiana, etc.) and several zonal plans. In 1980 he became the technical Director for the Iacp (Social Housing Institute) of Arezzo, office aimed at social housing. Many of those projects were exposed in national and international exhibitions. In 1990 he was charged by the Ater of Venice with the coordination of the planning and realization of residential council housing in Veneto. In 1995 he was appointed Councillor to Public Works, Traffic and the Old Town Centre in the Town Council of Arezzo.
He has always merged his political and social engagement with a lively cultural activity, participating in collective and individual exhibitions and in national and international urbanistic and architectural contests. Many Architecture magazines and specialized press have dealt with his work, and he himself has written and published many reviews and articles.